Top 3 for 2019


Happy New Year! I have always felt rather ambivalent about resolutions.  Maybe it is because the word resolution is from the Old French for “a breaking into parts” (resolution) and I don’t know how useful it is to break into parts as a new year is starting. However, it can also mean a “process of reducing things into simpler forms” (resolution) which seems like a better way to think about and proceed towards the next 12 months.

I have just spent the last 10 days doing a lot of little things that bring me joy, like cooking,  eating, going to the art gallery, watching movies,  going to the sauna, reading, walking around, and thinking a bunch. In my thought process I realized that this is the longest stretch of time I have had off in about 25 years, which is shocking but also brings about a whole bunch of other questions about time off as a privilege etc etc.

In thinking about what this time off means and trying to actively pry my shoulders off of my ears where they seemingly have perpetually resided for a few decades, I decided that this year I need to simplify things a bit and need to try to make time for the stuff that brings me joy (not that I am going to get all Marie Kondo any time soon).  I know my work schedule and my geographical position in relation to work and travel means I have to really plan my days but I need to start doing things with the evenings when I get home, but within reason. So instead of planning out a big 10 item resolution list that usually involves something around food and weight and exercise (which are often the first to fall off the resolution list) I am going to try for 3 thing that I feel are rather attainable in 2019 in my attempt to pry the shoulders off the ears and do things that add perception and enjoyment to my life.

1. Write 1500 words a day Monday to Thursday. I did pretty well with my writing goal starting last September so I think I am going to try to continue in that vein. If I can try to devote 1-2 hours a day Monday to Thursday on writing that will allow a lot of my “to do” academic projects to be completed or at least be in a better position than they are now. In the next month I need to finish editing an article and send it off and I need to write a book review and send that off as well. I then have to work on 2 more articles and 2 conference papers and then another 2 smaller articles before the end of the semester. That does seem like a lot when you write it out instead of seeing it in list form, but I want to aim to complete those by May so I can reassess what my summer will look like in terms of priorities (maybe it means moving one of those articles to the summer instead). I am also going to be easier on myself if I only end up with something like 1200 words and take more things into account in relation to that writing goal so that would include blog posts or reading books to attain my writing goal. Basically I think if I am getting words on a page that is a good start, the rest is icing on the cake.

2. Try to attend more cultural type things in the evenings. I usually get home before 6:30 and I often see that as a deterrent to go anywhere because I try go to bed by 9:30 to get a good night’s sleep. However, I have been having a lot of cultural FOMO lately and I need to rectify that. Even if that means that I go see a documentary or a play or an exhibit one or two nights a month that would still allow me to still keep to my writing goals and give me the inspiration and insight I need for work and my academic writing.

3. Keep a list of books I have read. Last year I watched my friend Brenna tweet out the books she read with small descriptions of each and I thought what a wonderful idea. So this year I am going to do the same. I read a lot of books (depending on how busy I am I usually get through 1 or 2 a week) so I think it would be interesting to keep tabs on them and see what I do read and any themes that run through them. Usually my “fun” reading is work related, pedagogy, UDL, Ed Tech so I suspect a lot of that will be part of the list.

I am sure I will add a few more to this list but for now that seems like a very reasonable place to start. I don’t want to over extend myself right out the gate.

I hope your 2019 is all that you want it to be and more! Let’s make this a good one!

Work Cited
“resolution. n” Etymology Online. Retrieved from https://www.etymonline.com/word/resolution#etymonline_v_12896

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts