Early Days

As I am on my way to my third day of work in the new year I am going to admit that this year has started rather quickly with an increased tempo. It has been a busy few days in the office with new part-time faculty training and loose ends being tied up on projects continuing from last year. I’ve also had difficulty getting myself into a commuting routine because my regular bus route is not in service until Monday because the students are not back this week. All this has meant that I have gotten home at odd times and I haven’t been able to keep up my 1500 word a day goal. Yesterday in fact I only wrote about 200 words- a conference CFP draft, but more about that later.

I know I said I wanted to be easier on myself if I didn’t hit my daily writing goals but I guess old habits die hard. I always think that I will somehow hit the ground running all the time without remembering that traditionally January has often been more of a time that I crawl into things instead of hustle from day one. I wanted to start writing the book review I have due soon last night but it was already close to 9 when I had time to devote to it and it definitely deserved a much fresher set of eyes. It is only January 4th today and I have to keep reminding myself of that- it is early days yet. Today is another day. I can even work on it during my commute home tomorrow (because we have another training session this weekend). There’s time even though it sometimes feels like there isn’t.

It is this hope of time/ for time that lead me to the CFP I wrote last night for a conference in October. It was motivated by an academic acquaintance who contacted me Wednesday and I am super excited about working with her. This promises to be something really wonderful and I look forward to what happens next. In January October seems far away but I also know it’s relative. It’s just nice to be on peoples’ radars when it comes to opportunities to collaborate.


Once I get a draft of the book review together I also really want to get back to the book I’m reading on UDL because the intro was quite good and has made me excited for the rest. I just have to keep reminding myself that it’s early days and I still have 361 more to write, to read, and to rest.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts