The End of the Semester

There are 5 days left until colleges and universities close for the holiday season with most of them reopening on the 2nd. I was facilitating workshops for part-time faculty all weekend and the college was very quiet, yet I saw some students working on last minute assignments and group work around campus.

I have also received calls, texts, and emails from colleagues at other institutions who are deep into the grading season and all that entails. The end of the semester is tough on everyone- students and faculty alike. Grades have to be in by a certain date and there’s this invisible pressure that most faculty feel to get things in so they can get some time for insert activity here but usually it’s rest, holiday shopping, friends and family.

In these times it’s important to have someone to talk to. It’s always nice to have a sounding board when you have a particular academic issue and want to find the best course of action. I was happy to be that person for a few people at the end of last week and it makes me glad that folk know they can turn to me and I will give them that space to discuss.

I have a well laid out plan for the next 5 days and what I need to do is probably going to take me to about 10pm on Friday. Then I can find the time to rest, do some holiday shopping, see friends, and read for pleasure. I need to make at least one more research trip to the library before then so I can have an article in a spot where I can easily edit and tweak to send off in the early new year. 



We all have our checklists at the ready, and this time of year exacerbates that. You may even see one more mini-post from me sometime this week as a reflection of the year that was.  For those of you still grading, I see you and I send you coffee, a warm blanket, and nice pens. The end of the semester is near and we can make it there together.

Comments

Popular Posts