2018 in Review

2018 was definitely one of change so I am going to try to list what happened quantitatively before reflecting qualitatively:

The year started out by trying to finish the previous semester that was pushed back due to a many many week strike.

Then I moved into teaching two sections of a very exiting course on social innovation that connected what the students were doing directly to their communities which was amazing to see.

Then I applied for and didn’t get a FT teaching position at a school I had been teaching at for 3 years that I was more than qualified for with 13 years of adjunct teaching and a PhD but the universe had other plans. 

Was nominated and selected as CAF representative on the ACCUTE board 

Then I applied for and interviewed for a job at another college that was honestly a dream position because it had all the things I care about pedagogy, curriculum, instructional design, accessibility, AND THEN I GOT IT!

Started the new job while still finishing teaching the courses I was teaching at the former college (because ethics and commitment)

After I got this great position I have:

Written and delivered 2 conference papers (one of which was nominated for the best paper delivered in the area)

Wrote panel proposals for the ACCUTE conference 

Wrote and submitted 2 book reviews (and actively working on a 3rd and 4th) 

Revised and submitted 1 article for publication consideration (and actively researching and editing a 2nd)

Did a 9x9x25 blog challenge where I had to write a 25 sentence blog on teaching and learning every week for 9 weeks.

Started writing on my blog fairly regularly.

Completed a creativity MOOC

The Qualitative Reflection

This year started off tough, and the strike really took a lot out of me emotionally and physically. Getting this new job has been such a watershed moment for me. It allows me to use all the experience and skills I have acquired in higher ed, it gives me reflective and reflexive space to do do academic thought and make connections. It has allowed me to find my academic groove from a purely academic production point of view which has been gone for so long and I am feeling stronger in terms of the writing I am producing than I have in a really long time. 

I just read a great article that said that first-generation university and grad-school graduates have another layer of class pressure to deconstruct that adversely affects academic writing productivity. It resonated so deeply as I still struggle with residual grad school guilt around writing. 

I have also met some really great faculty this semester who are doing some inspiring work in their classrooms (and outside of their classrooms). It honestly make all the difference qualitatively when you are working with folks who get what good pedagogy looks like. And the great thing is my colleagues are so wonderful and supportive and it is a positive work environment.

I am sure there are more things or insight to garner from this but this is where I am at after reflecting on this for a day or so. I am going to take time over the holidays to reflect on what my goals are 2019 and hopefully continue this momentum. I know one goal will be to find a balance between mindfulness and writing during my commutes.


I hope your holiday season brings a bit of rest and lots of goodness!

Comments

Popular Posts