Participant Pedagogy

My research looks at the way pedagogy is given, described or absent in certain Victorian texts. One author that I study a lot is John Ruskin, and his pedagogy is something that I could call "active learning." Ruskin's active learning is very much rooted in a morality or being an ethical participant in society. Ruskin would probably be the first to argue the point that "Teaching is not an act with any intrinsic value" (Stommel). But I do agree, as I mentioned in yesterday's blog post about pedagogical architecture, that teaching provides a space for learning, just as spaces and places themselves can open up the possibility of learning.

I have taught hybrid courses before and blogged about how well they went here. I also read Anya Kamenetz's DIY U and really enjoyed the concepts that she developed there. She even mentioned the college that I teach at as an example of a place where collaborative technology works within a pedagogical frame.  The reason why I enjoyed teaching a blended or hybrid course is that I thought it opened my classroom and online space to a more ethical pedagogy. Students connected, collaborated. My role as curator and facilitator was valued and valuable. I could give my students the safe space that underpins my teaching philosophy.

Being a participant in this #moocmooc  has been very enlightening and insightful because it allows me to develop my teaching philosophy even further by honing my curation skills and creating an amazing network of pedagogues.

I invite you to share this space with me to discuss the concept of participant pedagogy further.

Work Cited
Stommel, Jesse. "Participant Pedagogy." MoocMooc. August 15, 2012. Web. August 15, 2012. https://canvas.instructure.com/courses/612829/wiki/heres-what-to-do-on-wednesday.

Comments

Popular Posts