Slowing Down

 I have done nothing this weekend and I am not sure how I feel about it, but I do know why it has happened. I haven’t read anything because the 6 ebooks I have on hold at the Toronto Public Library have not come in yet (still have a few more weeks to wait on some of them, longer for others). I have not written anything because I am feeling a deep exhaustion from mental exercise. I know that one of the reasons for this is because my sleep pattern this week was an absolute disaster. I also know that another reason is once you slow down inertia is a thing, and it becomes even more difficult to get back into it again. The third reason is that my furnace is broken and it may be a few days until the landlord can get the HVAC person here, and it is very difficult to concentrate when it is about 14 degrees in your unit. 


This slowing down is one of the reasons why I started writing blogs every week. When you have difficulty writing because you have not been writing, blogs are a great way to get back into the swing of writing. They are often low stakes, and as a format it allows you to work through some of the concepts that may be top of mind. However, even finding a topic for a blog can be difficult. That’s why I took the low-hanging fruit this week which was my desire to actually not write a thing. 


I have tried to keep myself busy by catching up with all of the things I had saved on my Netflix for seemingly forever. I finally watched Ophelia with Daisy Ridley and it is phenomenal and I very much suggest it. I also watched 18 Regali last night which is an Italian movie that made me cry at the end because sometimes you need to watch a movie that makes you cry. 


So I guess all this to say that slowing down is simultaneously a privilege but also a necessity even if it feels wrong or odd. Getting an extra hour of sleep today was good I guess, but it also creates even more of a disjointed feeling in a time when time is already out of place. If there is one thing you can do to help support slowing down a bit today I would suggest it. Yes inertia is difficult to overcome when that slowing down happens, but maybe it is all for the best physically, mentally, and emotionally. 





Comments

Popular Posts