What are You Missing?

This is going to be a short post today because I want to centre the voices that need to be centred at this time.

I have been thinking a lot about the sensory, as I normally do, but in particular in relation to the protests and the need for more awareness pedagogically and curricularly about inequities. I wonder what is missing because of lack of awareness? Even the terminology that is used in relation to missing something, “a blind eye,” “tone deaf” is incredibly ableist.

So I wonder what exactly it will take for awareness to be intentional and not accidental? We shouldn’t have to always lay it out for people, there needs to be intentionality in what we do. As I mentioned before, yes mistakes will be made, but you need to learn from those mistakes and not take away from resources that are needed in other places just because you are lazy in your ability to educate yourself. 

Therefore, I encourage you today to take an audit of your space, both physically and virtual and reflect on what you are missing. What work do you need to put in to fill those gaps? Put in the work. There is no reason not to. 

Comments

Popular Posts