Time to Reflect On What Is Of Value

I have had a few days off from work and it has given me a lot of perspective about what I need and what I value. These times for reflection are so important when we spend a majority of our lives moving from one meeting to another, or one email to another without actually connecting deeply on any level.

I am usually a big fan of lists and I use lists to be productive but also to support my bigger life goals. Over these few days I have attempted to list the things that I value the most and interestingly they are things that apply to not only work spaces but are also a good set of ways to connect disparate things in my life.

 So in no particular order really here is a list of 8 things I really value and need:

1. Ethical pedagogical practices that take into account systemic barriers that need to be addressed
2. A commitment to educational access and educational practices that are appropriate to the learner and space
3. Sharing space with a community who can empathize with/understand my lived experience
4. A real commitment to accessibility supported by policy, training, and awareness
5. Intellectual stimulation and critical analysis of texts and concepts
6. Time and space to reflect and connect meaningfully
7. Time to connect to nature, the natural environment, and the aesthetics of nature
8. Respect of/for my experience, my educational background, my skills, my talents. 

It's important to take stock every once in a while to see if you are where you need to be on so many levels. It is also important to make sure you have places to grow and challenge yourself and an awareness of the privilege and systems that support you not being in a space of growth. If you don't have those places to grow you can find them..and they can be in everyday spots, you'd be surprised. Live without regret and be the best version of you that you can be. You only have the one life- make it good! 

Comments

Popular Posts