It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Many post-secondary institutions in the U.S. have already been back to school for two weeks, but tomorrow marks the big "back-to-school" rush in Canada. Elementary, secondary, college, and university students will be back in class come tomorrow(with a few exceptions).

The courses that I teach only start on the 10th so I still have a  few days until I am back in the classroom. However, I am still so excited about the start of another term and the possibility that tomorrow brings.

A few weeks ago I was walking around my neighbourhood in the evening. There was a wee chill in the air; it was an evening that lets one know that fall is on its way. During my walk I came across this beautiful tree.
There was something about this oak that screamed "new school year!" My partner and I spoke about the feeling that this tree evokes. For my partner the feeling recalled was one associated with fear, memories of not enjoying start-up, the anxiety that September brings.

This is the complete opposite of how I have felt every year since I was five years old. Sure there was always a bit of jitters, but the thought of a new school year always eclipsed that feeling of fear. The end of August meant new school supplies, writing the date in new notebooks, new binders full of loose leaf, and one new school outfit which was inevitably too hot to wear on the first day back but you wore it anyway (corduroys in August, why not!) because it was your new outfit and you wanted to look your best.

When one is surrounded by academics and bookish types my experience seems the norm. However, it is more likely the case that my partner's feelings are the norm. I can see it in the faces of my students during the first class. Some are very excited to be there. However, for the most part students are either anxious or annoyed that their summer vacation finished all too soon. The realities of a new term set in: there are books to buy, chapters to read, essay due dates to pencil into agendas (does anyone pencil in due dates in agendas anymore?)*. I always try to remain aware of these feelings in the classroom and try to soothe any anxiety.

Two weeks ago, when American college students were starting their classes,  I returned to my alma mater where I will again have the privilege to teach a women's literature course. This is when the acorn and the oak feeling became even more real. I have posted about how I feel about this campus previously. (Almost exactly 2 years ago!). I direct you to the logo on the left side of the header here. "Velut Arbor Aevo": "As a tree with the passage of time." I start waxing nostalgic whenever I am there. Though I was there to finalize last minute details, I took the time to revisit campus and remember that academic "feel".
The back campus still looks as pretty as it did all those years ago. It is a welcoming, quiet place, perfect for contemplation. I revisited the athletic centre where the postings for tryouts reminded me of many great teammates and many great games.
It was a really nice visit. It will be equally as nice to be there this semester. Some feelings permeate and continue through the years.

This is a great time for teachers, instructors, professors, to stop and reflect on our pedagogy, on the possibility of the term to come, and of the wisdom we have gained from previous semesters.

I wish you all good luck and a great semester!


*For the record I still pencil in due dates in agendas. It is one of those things that adds to the feeling of a new term, much more than typing it into your phone.

Comments

Popular Posts