Why I Write Reference Letters

This week I spent time writing reference letters for former students who are applying for graduate studies. I know that many would say "why would you actively encourage your students to go to grad school when you know the job market is so terrible?"

This is why:
  • My students are passionate about what they want to study so what better place to explore and expand that passion than graduate school.
  • Graduate school does not always have to be a means to an end. Yes often times it is, but remember a time when people would study for the pleasure of study? 
  • If you gave me 110% every time when you were my student, I truly believe that you will give that same 110% percent in grad school. To do otherwise would lead to failure, which would upset me as well as you.
  • I am not in the business of telling people what to do with their life. I am in the business of making sure they are prepared to do what they want to do with their life.
  • Selfishly, reference letters allow me to revisit some great educational moments and equally great written work that my students have produced.
There are many other excellent reasons why I genuinely love to write reference letters and I am honoured when my students ask me to write them.

I am still a discerning writer however. If you ask me to write a letter and I do not think the program or your previous academic work would mesh, I will be honest (not in a mean way) with you before I write the letter.

The bottom line is if students have taken the time: to decide where they wish to study, to look at the program and the excellent professors who work in that program, to reflect on who would be the best academic letter writer and then decide on me - I take this as yet another successful educational moment and one of my most cherished responsibilities as an instructor.


Comments

Popular Posts