How Much Do You Read?


 I haven’t been writing the 1000 words daily that I have been striving for and I think that has to do with the fact that I may be a bit tired. I usually get to at least 500, sometimes 700 but I am pretty much about 1000 words behind in total at the moment for the month. When I catch up on my rest I will hopefully be able to churn out the words I need.

I wavered as to whether I was going to write a blog post tonight, but then that deep residual grad school guilt monster said “maybe a few hundred words- it’s better than no words.” So here I am. I was thinking about how much reading and writing are tied together and yet I often can find time to read when I don’t find time to write. I have been told that I am a quick reader. I blame this on comps (or qualifying exams) when I was doing my PhD. If you are given a list of 100 or so 19th century texts and a finite number of months to read them (like 4) you learn to read quickly. I used to clock myself at about 20 pages an hour but I am now most certainly double that.

I see people making those lists of the books they have read over the year and I really think that I am going to put that into practice in 2019. People like @brennacgray inspire me because there is now a nice record of what she has read as the year goes on. I really don’t know how many books I have read this year so far and that is truly a pity. I know have read some great ones but I don’t have a quantifiable tally.

This weekend I read How Buildings Learn (1994) by Steward Brand and about 11 articles on phenomenology, the sensory, and architecture for a conference paper I am writing. This is how, as my friends say, “Ann does downtime.”

But I am wondering how much do you read? I know there is a lot to read in any given day if you factor in emails and social media but how many books do you read on average in a month? How many articles? I would be interested to see a statistical average over my Twitter followers.

I hope your Monday has been good and here’s to another week of reflection, words, and thoughts.

Comments

Popular Posts