My new job(s)

I finally have a full(ish) time job and it's teaching and I could not be happier. I have worked a total of three days already and I can say that I truly love my job. I have been working with students from Grade 4-Grade 11, with the following subjects English, Reading, SSAT prep, Mathematics, and Science.
The students are wonderful and you can tell that they have a genuine desire to learn and be educated, and this is half of the battle in most cases. Working with them has been a truly rewarding experience.
Being in a space that fluctuates between grade and subject matter is very exciting, it creates a sense of we are all there for one common goal, to educate ourselves and each other. This new employment (for job is such a harsh word really) has also allowed me to rethink teaching strategies.
There are efficient, effective, and ethical ways to teach things to others. The trick is to find that way. For example Integers, and specifically subtracting negative integers. This is always more difficult for students to wrap their heads around. So I am going to spend time today finding a strategy that works, that would be easily understood.
I'm very happy to be back in a teaching capacity for this is where I feel at home, comfortable, at ease.
It is also nice to be back with younger students, it is definitely a different dynamic, and it is even more important to be malleable to their needs and expectations. Younger students think differently and this should be nurtured and cherished.
Often this different way of learning means the students are labelled "difficult" which upsets me. These students are often quickly dismissed as problematic, I want to change that perception.
If the students are given the space, the time to grow, to formulate the ideas concretely in their heads, they will be able to apply them accurately. There is no price that can be put on getting to the point where you can apply concepts accurately and efficiently.
It is about helping the students get there, regardless of any other factor, financial, time, etc.
Sometimes in our go go go society we forget the importance of taking time to make sure things are properly understood. As educators, we need to find the marriage of time constructs and understanding. This is the challenge and I am up to it.

Comments

Popular Posts