Why a blog? Why now?

Let me introduce myself. My name is Ann and I am a great teacher. Yes I am not ashamed to say it for it's the truth. I am a PhD Candidate in English and my dissertation focuses on the ethics of tactility in Mid to Late Victorian literature. My research has allowed me to think about larger issues of tactility in relation to architecture (space/place/location/the liminal), in relation to computerized interaction, and in relation to the socio-cultural in general. The framework of my research is feminist theory and feminist ethics in specific.
So how does this relate to all things pedagogical and why a blog, why now? Well the answer is simple: if my recent job search has proven anything it is that we as a society do not give enough thought to how ethics relates to teaching, how we can be ethical teachers, how ethical teaching can in fact be effective teaching. In a time of economic instability the knee-jerk reaction is to pull all resources to scientific inquiry, to subjects that are deemed "profitable" "marketable". What is often forgotten is how arts and humanities degrees provide the most marketable skill of all.... critical thinking.
I am going to use this blog as a platform for pedagogical tools, to talk about effective critical thinking instruction, to discuss my dissertation research as it relates to pedagogy, and to ultimately let this blog become a pedagogical tool in and of itself. This is my literary, ethical, art installation...the architecture of it will change with every post, the performance aspect of it will change with every subject.
My picture to the right is of me and my former students on one of my last days as a TA. I use this picture as a reminder that we all have a role to play in education, that the power dynamics inherent in teaching are meant to be challenged. We should attempt to create a sense of inclusive pedagogy and remember that learning goes on beyond the fixed architectural confines of classrooms/lecture halls/office spaces. If we have done our job as educators, the passion that we have for teaching should be reflected in our students' desire to learn, not just within the classroom, but in their everyday lives.

Comments

Popular Posts