The Promise of a New Semester

I am scheduled to start teaching my two sections of College English tomorrow. The beginning of term usually brings such promise. New students, new classes, new classrooms, new school supplies (oh I know how you all feel about the school supplies, you need not hide your love of those Staples commercials), and new challenges.

The colleges in Ontario are the second week of support staff strike. This means that those who I usually run to for course related information, photocopying of tests, etc. are not working. Since no negotiations/talks are scheduled,it is looking as though this strike will go on for some time. So how do you usher in a new term knowing that your peers and colleagues are on strike? It is difficult to be sure. I hate crossing picket lines but I know that the priority here, as always, has to be to my students.

So one has to do the best that she/he can in these situations. Delays are to be expected, but the best way to benefit the students is to make sure that the classes go on with as little disruption as possible.

The strike has definitely tainted the promise of a new semester. I sincerely hope that it comes to an end soon and it is beneficial for those who are striking and not detrimental to the colleges.

The thing is is that promise, is exactly that, promise. You can make the best of any situation. Yes that seems a bit too pat, silver lining in the cloud and all, but when you have students eager to start the term off on the right foot, it is necessary to keep that optimism.

When I go to campus tomorrow I will listen to those who are on strike and hear what they have to say, because I respect them as peers and the students should also demonstrate that same respect. I will then slowly make my way through the line and onto campus in order to start what will be yet another great term.

Hopefully in a few weeks time I will be able to speak about the new exciting projects that I have on the go at the college. But until then, I wish all of you a great beginning of term and a pedagogically stimulating environment.

Comments

Popular Posts