Etudiant(e)s Contra Etudes?

Well the promise has really paid off. I went from a "now what?" feeling on Wednesday when forced with the prospect of, Gasp! only one thing to do at a time, to having four simultaneous projects at the college, teaching my two sections all while trying to complete what will hopefully be the final edits of THE dissertation.

Since it is the 220pg monster in the room I must address it, at least in brief. I am glad to be on the third draft, and though there are still some sections that need to be re-visited yet again, the end of the tunnel is near (submission date OCT 25). I have fully accepted the fact that this is NOT my life's work, nor will it be necessarily perfect -- for nothing is, BUT I am very confident in its defendability, come what may, for I am excellent at explaining verbally what anyone may see lacking textually. Once I have defended I have many new and exciting prospects awaiting me at the college, this is also why I am glad that I am approaching the end. Eeee! Designing classes, so exciting...okay I digress.

Back to the real reason for this post. I have heard two amazing podcasts this week. They are found Here and Here. Both of these podcasts raise very important questions and engage in some very insightful dialogue. Seriously, download these podcasts. Listen to them as you eat your breakfast, as you walk your dog, as you walk to teach. It will give you so much to think about. I am actually going to get my students to respond to these pieces later on in the term.

Since two of my four more pressing projects at the college involve social media and media literacy, these two interviews were very timely. Both authors are seemingly arguing something completely different yet they both raise very valid and pertinent points about the merits of both a pedagogy ground in historically tried and tested methods (ie lecturing) and a pedagogy that suits the new learners of today (active, collaborative learning strategies online). As someone who really enjoys the concept (well mainly the "feel") of what the "Ivory Towers" as a larger metaphor espouse, I also actively try to incorporate a more collaborative learning environment as a more ethical pedagogical model. In a collaborative model ideally the "power" dynamic does not rest on the instructor and as such the students want to participate and see how their contributions are essential to the success of the course overall. Every semester I try to rethink strategies and try different things. But these two interviews have got me thinking whether it is so black and white or if there is a possibility of a pedagogical strategy on post-secondary campuses that is both respectful of the historical pedagogical models (with all that nice ivy-ed campus, elbow patched tweed blazers, and kefir on keffiyeh feeling) and looks forward to post-post-modern pedagogy that is real yet virtual.

Okay with that great thinking/discussion point, I will go back to my writing diagnostics and learning about my 60 new students through their own words. Then I must read through a manual on Moodle course creation, and then more dissertation editing. So much stuff, so much exciting stuff!

And Oh!, did I mention I have been off coffee for the past two weeks for medical reasons. That black tea is really coming in handy!

Comments

Popular Posts