Mandatory End of Semester Post

So we made it to the end of the semester. I say “we” because we all did in some way; the professors, the students, the staff- we all made it to the end of the semester in our different ways.

For example, as I mentioned in my previous post 3 weeks ago, I was teaching a 5 load and this meant that I had 111 exams to grade and 2 grades meetings before I could say- yes, in fact, I made it to the end of the semester. The fact that I made it in one piece (relatively) was certainly due to time management and ultimately balance. I took time for myself (often on weekends) so that I could make it through each week with a sense of accomplishment and the feeling that I had given my best to the students and helped foster a safe connected educational space.  

I am writing this post as a way to avoid packing for my trip home (one can only avoid said things for so long however). I often find it really difficult to shut off after the semester-case in point I went to three libraries yesterday to do some research when I could have stayed home and relax for my first day off in a long time. I become obsessed with library openings and closings over the holiday season for some reason. I suppose it is residual grad school guilt (you know that voice that says hey you should be working all.the.time). This tweet actually made me smile in some perverse way


My English literature academic logic went straight to well if the British library is closed all the way to December 28th I don’t have to feel bad if I take time off until then right? Right? Even if I live in Canada and have access to libraries that are open again as of the 26th? (To be fair I have articles that I should be working on-as I will elaborate on below).

I am also taking time to pause and reflect on the semester that just was and things that I need to work on pedagogically and academically for 2016. It is also a time to be grateful (especially since I am not teaching at the university in the city that still has final exams scheduled for today!)  End of terms and end of years call for lists; people like lists, so here is my list.

  1. Emphasize the importance of time management more in my courses as part of deeper pedagogical ethics
As a professor it is expected that my time management skills will be on point. If the students write an essay or a midterm it should not take me 3 weeks to get the graded work back to them- regardless of how large the class is. Nor should it really take me 2 weeks though I know there are some professors who stick to a 2 week turnaround- which is more than acceptable. My turn around is 1 week. It has always been 1 week and it will always be one week. It works for me and I am keeping it this way.

Next semester I am going to emphasize the importance of time management in various ways in my courses as I feel it is a pedagogical ethics issue. I want the students to hold themselves up to a higher standard- one because they can, and two because it will be expected of them in their other courses and in their work.

2.  Actively work on editing the 3 articles I have in draft form and get them out

Academic guilt is a big nebulous thing as I mentioned above. I have three articles that are sitting in various files in my computer that I need to get out because they call me like Cathy calling Heathcliff.  When you are teaching as many sections as I am it is difficult to factor time into writing, editing, and research. This is the biggest being off the tenure track issue. Nothing in my teaching contracts stipulates time for research. That is all on me and as I expect my students to hold themselves up to a higher standard, I expect the same of myself (as does academe as an entity).

In January the calendar is going to be revisited and specific time devoted to these articles is going to happen.

 3. Continue to factor in time for myself and personal relationships

Of course all work and no play makes….something dull something right? As I mentioned above the time I have given myself on the weekends is working to make me feel rejuvenated as the week starts and is one of the main reasons why I made it through this semester without being on the ground tired and sick. I plan to continue to factor in time for myself and my personal relationships in 2016 because it is part of a bigger ethical personal health plan- it is necessary for academics (as this great post by Raul Pacheco-Vega reaffirms) and is sadly something that is often forgotten in the rush to publish and do more.

4. Jettison things that simply are not working out

I have been working on side projects and doing some writing for various places that have not been working out. Why? Mainly because these places do not work under the same time management philosophy that I espouse and therefore in 2016 I will revisit these commitments and see what needs to go.

Over the past year or so I have started to actively jettison things (and people) from my life that just are not working. Life is too short to expend energy on things over and over again when you know the result is going to be the same. If you give me a due date and I make sure that the thing is done at least 3 days before said due date don’t then ignore what I have submitted for over a month. I dedicated time in my busy schedule to get it done, you should do the same to demonstrate respect for me and my time. If I plan something with you and set up an appointment or meeting and then you cancel (twice, thrice) - that speaks volumes about the level of respect you have for me. I respect myself enough to know the respect I deserve.

I’m keeping my list small and manageable because upon reflection I think that though I was quite busy this semester a lot of what I had in place pedagogically, academically, personally worked well so I don’t need to modify many practices. Of course teaching is a process of constantly learning for teachers, professors, and instructors so I always go into to every new semester with an open mind ready to modify what is not work working as well as it should; it is a continuous practice.  It is never ending as this card suggests


 As I am finishing this post I just received an email rsvp notice for next semester’s start-up meeting.  With that reminder that I will be teaching a new semester of courses in under 3 weeks I will go back to my packing task at hand and I wish you and yours a lovely holiday season!


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts